Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Talk About It Tuesday

It's Talk About It Tuesday and we are talking about the book 
The Principal 50 by Principal Kafele!

prin 50 rewick


I will use the acronym FISH (c) to convey my thoughts...




First thoughts...

Impact of the reading on...
Summary of the chapters, reading, etc...
How will I use this to grow...







First Thoughts:
This was such an awesome read! I created a Book Study on Facebook of this awesome book and will share the link below under resources. The book was an easy read. The book is written for new administrators and those currently in administrator roles.

Impact of the Reading:
The book has 10 chapters that includes 50 different questions regarding the principalship. The definitely made an impact on my personal vision and the goals I would like to accomplish as an educational leader. Each question made me stop and reflect on thoughts and views.

Summary of the Reading:
I don't want to give away to much, but check out our The Principal 50 Book Study to get views from other administrators about each chapter! The Principal 50 Facebook Book Study

How will I use this book to grow?
This book has motivated me to begin preparing for the next phase in my educational journey. As an aspiring instructional leader, I need to make sure I take the content from the text to ensure I am doing whatever I can ti ensure student success.

I would strongly suggest any aspiring administrator to read this book. Reflect on these questions...

Some of my important take-aways: (In no particular order)
1. The mission of the principalship begins once you have made a decision to become a principal.
2. Your vision must inspire excellence by helping students and staff to envision it in action.
3. Despite the challenges our school will be successful because I am the leader!
4. Be guided by a set of beliefs about student learning rooted in sound research as well as genuine personal experience.
5. The mission is: Student Achievement and Improvement of Instruction
6. Helps teachers grow professionally with PD - Use staff meetings for PD!
7. You are the primary instructional leader.
8. Integral part of your day is classroom observations. Make it a priority to do it and provide feedback.
9. Feedback is what enables teachers to grow and improve.
10. Improvement is possible!
11. Establish a true collegial bond.
12. Morning messages should inform, inspire, and empower.
13. Give a "State of the School" address.
14. You must see yourself as the #1 determinant of success or failure of your students.
15. Your leadership is your mission.
16. Think and act with intentionality.
17. Create parent activities that are a powerful synergy with students achievement as the goal.
18. You must believe that every single student who walks through the doors of the school can not only succeed, but excel.
19. Everything that happens in your school is a data point.
20. Salient Data - Tardies, Attendance, Discipline, and Academic Achievement


No comments:

Post a Comment