Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Talk About It Tuesday - Book Review

Last summer, my principal challenge the staff to do 10 minutes of reading a day (#10MORD). I am challenging myself to committing to do 10MORD everyday again this summer. I have started this summer with a few books on discipline, math, and leadership! Every Tuesday, I will do a blog titled: Talk About It Tuesday and share what I have been reading.

I will use the acronym FISH (c) to convey my thoughts of the reading. 




First thoughts...

Impact of the reading on...
Summary of the chapters, reading, etc...
                           How will I use this to grow...






This week we will discus the book
Lost At School by Dr. Ross W. Greene.











F: My first thoughts of the book was, "Oh my these are my students!"

I: In the first three chapters it made an immediate impact on how I view challenging students...providing me with a lot of AHA! moments.

S: In these first three chapters, Dr. Greene states that many of our challenging students have difficulties because they lack the skills required for adaptive, social, emotional, and behavioral functions. He suggests that "Challenging behavior occurs when the demands and expectations being placed upon a child outstrip the skills he has to respond adaptively." p. 27 Without giving away too much (so you can grab the book and read it for yourself 😉), he explains how identify lagging skills and unsolved problems. Lagging skills are the why of challenging behavior. Unsolved problems tell us when the behavior is occurring. Understanding this, he then talks about Plans to use to be proactive. I liked how he tells the story about Joey, in his approach to provide a framework for understanding challenging behavior.

H: In the first three chapters I am using what I have learned about lagging skills and unsolved problems to help to assess and help some of our challenging students. In a conversation I had a few weeks ago, I talked about this being our first step in our discipline plan...teaching students how to behave because so many of them just don't have the skills. I can't wait to continue reading this book and put a plan in place that will help our students.


No comments:

Post a Comment